Santorini or Crete?both islands are fantastic and have a lot to offer, depending on how your trip goes and what you expect from it, you will enjoy more on one island or the other, we will help you decide.
Santorini or Crete – which is better?
- Santorini is the most magical and amazing island of Greece, if you can only visit one island, then it should be Santorini.
- Crete is also wonderful and beautiful: it is also much bigger and requires one or two weeks (or more) to tour the island properly.
- Crete has more outdoor activities.Santorini has more tours.both have wineries and excellent local food.
- Crete has better beaches but they are scattered and it takes a little effort to see the best beaches.Santorini is small and it is easy to move around all the popular beaches.
- Crete has smaller traditional (non-tourist) villages.
- Santorini is more romantic and more suitable for a honeymoon.
- Santorini has better and more unique luxury hotels
- Both Santorini and Crete have a longer tourist season than most of the Greek islands.But if you are more interested in sightseeing than in swimming, from March to November, you generally have a good climate. December to February will have a cool and humid climate, but both islands can be considered decent destinations all year round.
Highlights of Crete and Santorini
The breathtaking views of the caldera are the main attraction of Santorini, other highlights include boat trips to the volcano, wine tours, sunset views and exploring the magical villages that rise above the caldera cliff.
The charming old town of Chania is one of Crete’s top destinations. other highlights include Knossos, Agios Nikolaos, Rethymnon, Elafonissi Beach and Samaria Gorge.