Rome may be an ancient city, but its hotel scene is as current as befits the capital of Italy: a hostel that is halfway to being a hotel, the chance to sleep in an ancient monastery, a couple of private penthouse residences and plenty of luxury dwellings: the city’s options encompass an eclectic mix of design, glamour and all-Italian inspiration.We choose some of the best hotels in Rome for your next trip.
Hotels in Rome – Tips and recommendations
- Booking.com – The best website to book hotels in Rome
- When is the best time to visit Rome?Rome is an excellent destination for all year round, but the best months are April, May, September and October.
- The best districts of Rome for visitors: Historical Centre (ancient monuments, atmospheric streets, shops, restaurants) – Ancient Rome and Monti (the Colosseum and others, trendy village atmosphere in Monti, bars and boutiques) – Trastevere (picturesque area, lively restaurants and bars, within walking distance of the centre) – Vatican and Prati (St. Peter’s, Sistine Chapel and excellent restaurants in Prati).
- The best luxury hotels in Rome: Hotel Hassler (for a luxury and personal service) – Villa Spalletti Trivelli (old world charm and majestic surroundings)
- The best boutique hotels in Rome The Inn at the Roman Forum (5 stars) – Hotel Campo de ‘Fiori (privileged central location, fun, extravagant décor) – Suites Portrait (a romantic boutique hotel, a fantastic honeymoon hotel)
- The best cheap hotels in Rome Generator Roma – Hotel Des Artistes
- The best hotels in Rome for families: Internazionale Domus – Hotel Central Lodge – Vatican Skyline
- The best restaurants in Rome Armando al Pantheon (for the classic Roman Pantheon cuisine) – Romeo (modern restaurant and contemporary creative cuisine) – L’Asino d’Oro (Monti’s mid-range restaurant specializing in Umbrian dishes), – Aroma ( only in Rome – views of the Colosseum and food with Michelin stars)
- The best ice cream in Rome Fatamorgana (creative flavours in the branches of the city) – The best bakery: Forno Roscioli (a paradisiacal find in the historical centre) – The best cheese: Volpetti (historical deli in the Testaccio district) – The best wine: Trimani (huge selection of international wines near Termini) – The best cafe: Caffè Sant’Eustachio (central cafe famous for its coffee) – The best pizzeria: Da Remo (place in Testaccio specialized in Roman style pizza) – Best takeaway: Pizzarium (gourmet sliced pizza) near the Vatican Museums) – Best chocolate: Confetteria Moriondo & Gariglio (magic confectioners in the historical center)
- Best tours in Rome: Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel & St. Peter’s – Ancient Rome & Colosseum Tour – Gastronomic Tour of the Roman Quarters
The 15 Best Hotels in Rome
1.Inn at the Roman Forum – Ancient Rome ⭐ ⭐
An elegant boutique hotel offering stylish rooms, a quiet location on the back street and its own ancient ruins, sits on a 1st century BC tunnel. The rooms are individually decorated with a mix of contemporary décor and original accessories, and there is a beautiful panoramic terrace.
2.Hotel Hassler – near Fontana di Trevi ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
The oldest statesman in Rome’s hotel scene, the Hassler continues to impress with its old-school luxury and all the five-star trappings of a spectacular location at the top of Piazza di Spagna, and a Michelin-starred restaurant, Imàgo.
3.Hotel Campo De’ Fiori – Historic Centre ⭐⭐⭐
Located in the centre of the action, this cosy four-star hotel enjoys a privileged location next to Campo de ‘Fiori.Inside, the look is modern and baroque with dripping chandeliers, bright colours, lots of gilding and peculiar contemporary touches.on the top, a terrace offers unforgettable views on the roof.
4.Villa Spalletti Trivelli – Villa Borghese ⭐⭐⭐⭐
A majestic mansion located in the centre of Rome, this is an oasis of charm and tranquillity in the old style.It is an image of classic elegance with antique furniture, polished wood and rooms with traditional furnishings. Outside, the manicured gardens are a lovely place to relax.
5.J.K. Place Roma – near Fontana di Trevi ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Since its opening in mid 2013, this stylish boutique hotel has won many applauses.Its magazine worthy décor combines comfort with a contemporary design aesthetic, and its location is excellent, near the main shopping area Via dei Condotti.
6.The St Regis Rome – near Termini ⭐⭐⭐⭐
An opulent five-star hotel located in a 19th century palace near Piazza della Repubblica.Much loved by rock stars, both Madonna and the Rolling Stones have stayed there in recent years, it has classic-style interiors, a popular butler service and a wonderful spa.
7.Palazzo Montemartini – near Termini ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Recently opened, Palazzo Montemartini is a modern five-star hotel near Termini station.The surrounding area is not the most interesting, but the hotel is characterised by bright, naturally lit rooms, a contemporary design and a decadent spa.
8.Hotel de Russie – near Fontana de Trevi ⭐⭐⭐
From Picasso to Leonardo DiCaprio, artists and actors have long appreciated this legendary hotel near Piazza del Popolo.The rooms are modern and simple, there is a beautiful bar in the garden and the hotel’s spa is one of the best in Rome.
9.Eden Hotel – Villa Borghese ⭐⭐⭐
A pleasant five-star hotel next to Via Vittorio Veneto, the Eden is within walking distance of Piazza di Spagna and the Villa Borghese park.The service is excellent, the rooms have antiques and deep carpets, and there is an excellent rooftop restaurant with fabulous views.
10.Hotel Raphael – historical centre ⭐ ⭐
The ivy-covered facade of this historical hotel is a landmark in the centre of Rome.Inside, it is equally striking with a collection of Picasso ceramics in the lobby, a floor of minimalist rooms designed by Richard Meier and a spectacular rooftop restaurant.
11.Portrait Suites – near Fontana di Trevi ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
This discreet hideaway is more of a luxury guest house than a traditional hotel, offering 14 suites in the heart of Rome’s business district, owned by fashion house Ferragomo, it is a modern style master class and offers unforgettable views from its rooftop terrace.