When is the best time to visit Tuscany, Italy?
The best times to go to Tuscany are in late spring and early autumn, when the weather is warm (but not too hot), outdoor meals are pleasant and there are many lively art and music festivals.A visit in early autumn also provides the opportunity to participate in the many grape and olive harvest festivals in the region.
- The best time to visit Tuscany when the weather is good: the best time to visit Tuscany when the weather is good, with warm but not too hot temperatures and the chance of rain is minimal, from mid-April to mid-May.The best time for the weather is from mid-September to mid-October, temperatures in early autumn are similar to those of spring, but there is more chance of rain.
- The best time for sightseeing : spring, especially in April and May, is ideal for sightseeing in Tuscany, a time when wildflowers are in bloom and the weather is warm but not too hot.When visiting big cities such as Siena and Florence, it is best to arrive at places of interest early in the morning or late in the day to avoid the long lines.
- The best time for wine tours, tastings and harvest festivals : autumn is the time to visit Tuscany for a wine-focused getaway, especially from mid-September to early October.The days will be warm, the nights cool and almost every town seems to have a harvest festival; if it wasn’t for the grapes, it would be the olives. In this region, where the colder valleys tend to see early frosts, the grape and olive harvests begin in late September.
- Best time to see sunflowers : you’ve probably seen pictures of Tuscany’s endless fields of sunflowers.if you expect to see them in person, with most fields in bloom, plan your trip from late June to early July.
- The best time to visit to experience the main attractions of the city : if the main focus of your visit is to experience the main attractions of the city such as Michelangelo’s sculpture «David» at the Galleria dell’Accademia in Florence, you may want to go in the low season, between December and February , The lines will be shorter, and you can take your time to enjoy what each one has to offer with little interruption.
Travel seasons to Tuscany
- High season (June to mid-September) : summer is the high season in Tuscany, a time when the weather is the warmest of the year with temperatures reaching 30°C and more.Note that in August, many hotels, shops and restaurants are closed to tourists as locals take their annual two-week holiday, but Tuscany still attracts many tourists during this time.
- Middle season (March to May, except Easter; mid-September to November) : the shoulder season may be the best time to visit this region, with comfortable weather and less crowds of tourists.Spring brings wild flowers to the fields, while autumn brings beautiful crops of foliage, grapes and olives.
- Low season (December to February, except Carnival) : winter is the low season in Tuscany.’, «Cold weather provides the best opportunity for lower airfares and discounted accommodations, and little worry about crowds or long lines.
Weather in Tuscany by month
- Climate in Tuscany in January : while the climate varies a bit depending on the particular area, January is the coldest month of the year in all Tuscany, with high average temperatures ranging from 9°C to 12°C.Snow is rare and when it does fall, it usually melts quickly.if you visit the region now, be sure to bring a winter coat, a hat and gloves.there is not much in the way of rainfall, only about 63mm on average for 8 days in January, but a waterproof jacket could be useful.the most important thing to note is that the days will be short, as the sun will not rise until 8am and set before 5pm at the beginning of the month.(Average maximum temperature: 11° C. Average rainfall: 63 mm.)
- Tuscany’s climate in February : February in Tuscany is almost identical to January in Tuscany, although at the end of the month temperatures will start to heat up.the afternoon highs remain the same for the first half, with the mercury rising to 11° C, but the last half of the month occasionally sees days as hot as 16° C.\xa0The last few nights will be quite cold, with an average low temperature of 4°C.Rainfall is almost the same as last month, not to worry, which means that the most important thing is to pack clothes that can be layered to keep you warm (average maximum temperature: 11°C. Average rainfall: 67 mm.)
- Tuscany weather in March : while March is anything but predictable, the weather is warming up now, with the average afternoon temperature approaching 15°C, which means there is little chance of snow.Precipitation increases only slightly, which increases the chances of needing a waterproof jacket, but it won’t be as cold; you may want to bring a mix of clothes, wear layers that can be easily removed when it’s hot or added when it’s too cold. Days are getting longer, bringing more natural light to see the sights with more than 12 hours to the end of the month.(Average maximum temperature: 15°C. Average rainfall: 69mm.)
- The weather in Tuscany in April : April brings wonderfully warm and longer days with long periods of dry weather between rains; an average of 78 mm falls in 13 days this month.The average high temperature has now risen quite a bit to 19°C, which means you will need clothes for the warmer weather along with some items for the colder days and a lightweight waterproof jacket to keep you dry when the rain comes.Nights are a bit fast with the low temperature at 9°C, so make sure you wrap up warm for any night out (average maximum temperature: 19°C. Average rainfall: 78mm.)
- Tuscany weather in May : one of the most popular months to be in Tuscany, May is characterized by increasingly warm temperatures that can reach 24°C or more in some places.With sunrise at 5:36 am and sunset at 8:48 pm on May 31, you will have plenty of natural light to enjoy the outdoors. You will need mostly warm weather clothing now, such as short-sleeved shirts, shorts and dresses, but you should also bring long-sleeved shirts, long pants and a jacket for the colder days, mornings and evenings.(Average maximum temperature: 24° C. Average rainfall: 72 mm.)
- Weather in Tuscany in June : with June marking the beginning of summer, the plan for warm weather in Tuscany, with afternoon temperatures rising to 28° C, and occasionally up to 30 degrees.Now it’s usually quite dry, with an average rainfall of only 50 mm in 8 days, so there’s really no need for rainwear. This is the time to think about sun protection, bring sunscreen and wide brimmed hats along with light clothing. you may want to bring a swimsuit as well.Sweaters and jackets simply add volume; with the temperature dropping to 17°C, even the nights are relatively warm. (Average maximum temperature: 28°C. Average rainfall: 50 mm.)
- The weather in Tuscany in July : July in Tuscany is hot and sometimes very hot, with the mercury occasionally rising to 35°C, although the average maximum is 31°C.On most days, the sky will be bright blue and sunny, any amount of clouds is quite rare at this time of year.there is little in the way of rainfall now with only 31mm on average.you’ll need lots of sunscreen and items such as open-toed shoes, short-sleeved shirts, cotton pants, shorts, skirts or dresses.If you plan to visit churches, remember to wear something that covers your shoulders and knees.(Average maximum temperature: 31°C. Average rainfall: 31mm.)
- The weather in Tuscany in August : August is also a very hot month in Tuscany; many Italians escape the heat this month by heading to the mountains or the beach.The first half of the month is usually dry, while the second half of the month tends to bring some summer storms, with rainfall increasing from last month to an average of 48 mm.(Average maximum temperature: 31°C. Average rainfall: 48 mm.)
- Tuscany weather in September : it is likely to be hot at the beginning of the month, with many sunny skies, but probably not too hot.Although the average high temperature drops from a few degrees to 27°C, it is still a good time to go to the beach, enjoy picnics and have dinner outdoors. If you plan to visit during the last part of September, you may need a light jacket for the mornings and afternoons; the average low temperature is 16°C at this time.In general, you should bring mostly warm weather clothing, along with some items for colder climates and perhaps a lightweight waterproof jacket for the slight increase in rainfall this month.(Average maximum temperature: 27°C. Average rainfall: 76 mm.)
- The weather in Tuscany in October : autumn is settling in now.While there will be many pleasant and sunny days, temperatures are expected to cool and rainfall will be more frequent, with an average rainfall of 96 mm for 12 days.the first half of the month is usually quite warm, with temperatures ranging from 20°C to 25°C, and the nights getting colder as they dip into the 50’s.In mid-October, daytime temperatures do not usually exceed 20°C and can be as low as 12°C.That cooler climate brings beautiful fall foliage to the region’s forests and parks, making October a fantastic time to visit Tuscany. Plan to pack clothes that can be layered, including a waterproof jacket so you’re prepared for rain. (Average maximum temperature: 21°C. Average rainfall: 96mm.)
- Tuscany’s weather in November : while early November is usually pleasant, this month can be unpredictable, with greater variability in conditions.The afternoon highs are at 15°C and the lows are a little chilly at 7°C, so you’ll need to pack cool weather items now.Plan to bring a warm waterproof jacket and sweaters along with waterproof boots to make you comfortable while exploring.(Average maximum temperature: 15°C. Average rainfall: 102mm.)
- Tuscany weather in December : the weather continues to cool in December, providing the possibility of snow, which is sure to make the beautiful landscapes of Tuscany even more magical.This month can be relatively mild or very cold with temperatures ranging from 7°C to 11°C during the hottest hours of the day and as low as 4°C at night. You will need cold weather clothing now, including a warm coat and boots (ideally waterproof), gloves, a hat and perhaps a scarf.As the days are shorter now, with less than nine hours of light around the Winter Solstice, you will want to plan your schedule accordingly. (Average maximum temperature: 11°C. Average rainfall: 72 mm.)