Hawaii is a great year-round destination, but the best weather is usually found in April, May, September and October. The winter months are wetter, and June to November is the hurricane season, although big storms are rare.
- Where to stay in Hawaii
- Best hotels in Hawaii
- Cheap hotels in Hawaii
- Honeymoon hotels in Hawaii
When is the best time to visit Hawaii?
- The best time to visit Hawaii when the weather is good: Hawaii has a warm climate all year round, with average maximum temperatures of 26 to 28 °C in winter and 29 to 31 °C in summer.The winter months tend to be wetter, while the hurricane season runs from June to November (but big storms are rare here). Surfing waves are bigger in winter, especially on the northern coasts of the islands. The most consistent weather is generally found in April, May, September and October.
- Best time to surf: The best time to surf in Hawaii depends on the surfer’s skill level.The largest waves tend to hit the northern shores of all the islands in winter, from November through March, especially in December and January, and particularly on the north coast of Oahu. This is the best time for professionals, experienced surfers and spectators. Beginning surfers will want to stay on the south sides of the islands during the winter or travel in the summer months.
- Best time to swim and snorkel: Swimming and snorkeling are possible year-round in Hawaii, but during the summer months (May to September) the water is warmer, the waves are smaller and the skies are sunnier, making conditions ideal for these water activities.Kauai has the least reliable snorkeling because it tends to rain the most year round, which reduces visibility on the water.
- Best time to walk: Some of the most incredible hiking in the world can be found in Hawaii, especially on Kauai.Summers can be very hot here, so be sure to pack plenty of water and sunscreen, and plan to start your hike early in the morning, when the air temperature is cooler.
- Best time for whale watching: whales come down from Alaska to Hawaii every year during the winter, from December to April.The whales can be seen from the coast on each island, but tend to concentrate between the western coast of Maui and the neighboring islands of Molokai and Lanai.
- Best time to see the volcano: Kilauea on the Big Island has been erupting non-stop since 1983, sometimes in dramatic bursts and sometimes in lazy flows.Temperatures at the highest elevations are about 6-11 degrees Celsius colder than at sea level, with winter temperatures averaging 8-12 degrees Celsius. Summer (May to September) is the best time to visit the volcano while it’s still warm.
- Best time to fish: Fishing is a year-round activity in Hawaii, with different fish biting at different times on different islands.(Except for sharks: you can always find sharks.) In general, in the winter you can see a lot of striped marlin, snapper, skipjack and bigeye; and there is also a good chance to see a whale while you are away. spring offers more mahi mahi, yellowfin and blue marlin. summer finds yellowfin and large blue marlin, along with ono and skipjack. autumn sees lots of billfish, all varieties of marlin, mahi mahi and giant jacks.
- The best time to watch the stars on Mauna Kea: similar rules apply to visiting Mauna Kea as to visiting Kilauea.For visibility, the best time of the month to see stars is during a new moon. If you plan to use the world-class telescopes on the summit of Mauna Kea, remember to consider the elevation; at almost 4,200 meters, Mauna Kea’s oxygen level is low.It is strongly recommended that travelers stop halfway for one hour to acclimate and never ascend Mauna Kea within 24 hours of diving.
- Best time to ski/snowboard: Mauna Kea means “white mountain” in the Hawaiian language.The best time to ski/snowboard Mauna Kea is during February and March. there are no lifts or resorts, and you’ll need a 4-wheel drive vehicle, but the snow is said to be among the best in the world.
- Best time to discount: for discounted rates, it’s usually best to book in advance and schedule flights for mid-week.In general, the cheapest airfares and hotels can be found during the spring and fall months. late March to mid-June is generally a great time to find great rates, except during the last week of April, which is Golden Week, Japan’s best time to travel. later in the year, from September to mid-December, is also a great time to find deals, except during Thanksgiving week.June and July are usually less expensive than the expensive winter months, but they are more crowded; offers during this time tend to be rare and last minute.
- The best time to avoid crowds: the quietest month for tourists is November, with the exception of Thanksgiving week.May to the first week of June, September and October are also good times to avoid crowds.April can be quiet, except during Golden Week and during the years when Easter falls at the beginning of the month.
- The best time for a wedding: the summer months tend to be drier than the winter months, so planning a wedding from May to October means less chance of rain, although Kauai and Hilo almost always have some rain.the hurricane season usually runs from June to November, but big storms are rare.The best bet for a sunny wedding is May.
- Best time for inter-island cruises: the winter months, December to March, are the best time to watch whales from the side of your boat, but this is also the rainiest and most expensive time to visit.
- Best time to buy flights: Flight prices fluctuate dramatically. In general, booking one to four months in advance offers the best rates, with six weeks being the optimal time to find deals. Exceptions are when booking for Thanksgiving week and mid to late December. For these times, it is generally best to book as soon as tickets are available, up to eleven months out.
When to visit the Hawaiian Islands
Best time to travel to Oahu
Best months to visit Oahu are April (first 3 weeks), May, September and October for excellent weather, less crowds and fair rates.Oahu’s temperatures vary from 26°C to 31°C all year round, with hot summers (June to October) and pleasant winters (mid-December to late March).There is not much climatic variation at the lower altitudes, where all the beaches and most of the hotels are located; the higher elevations inland are colder and rainy. Rain usually falls during the night. December through February is the wettest time of year, while June through August is the driest. Early August through early November is the warmest ocean temperature, and mid-January through mid-April is the coldest.From November to March, monster waves hit the north coast and attract huge surfing tournaments.the best time for surfers is from March to May, when the waves are still big, but the beach is less crowded.the high season coincides with the whale season (off the south coast) from December to March, with high room and airfares.The low season runs from April to mid-June (except the last week of April, which is Golden Week in Japan and attracts large crowds to Honolulu) and from September to early December with better rates and fewer travelers.
Best time to travel to Maui
Best months to visit Maui are April, May, September and October. Daily Maui highs vary from 27°C to 31°C all year round, warmer in summer and colder in winter, but only slightly.The west coast is generally warm, sunny and dry, while the eastern Maui rainforest is slightly cooler with light rain in the late afternoons or at night. early June through the end of October is the driest time of year. November through March increases the chance of light, brief rains. August through October is the warmest ocean temperature, while January through March is the coldest.The biggest swells come to the north coast from mid-November to early February. December through March is the high season and whale watching season (whales generally stay on the west coast), with the largest crowds and highest rates per room. The low season falls from April to mid-June and September to mid-December, with fewer crowds and better rates.
Best time to travel Kauai
The best months to visit Kauai are April, May, August and September for the best weather, lower fares and smaller crowds.Kauai is the rainiest of the main Hawaiian islands overall, but its microclimates differ dramatically.The northern and eastern beaches (Princeville to Lihue) see regular rain, while the southern beaches near Po’ipu tend to be sunnier, and the western side around Waimea Canyon is a desert.Mount Waialeale, near the centre of the island, is among the wettest places on earth, with year-round highs averaging 27°C-29°C, the hottest from July to October and the coldest from December to March.November to February are the largest waves on the north coast; the high season and whale season (island wide) runs from mid-December to March; the low season runs from April to early June and from September to early December.
Best time to travel to The Big Island
The best months to visit The Big Island are mid to late April, May, September and October for the best combination of good weather, cheaper rates and fewer people.The Big Island is huge, twice the size of all the other islands combined, with 8 completely different climate zones. Most travelers only have to worry about 2 areas: Kailua-Kona in the west (hot, sultry, dry) and Hilo and Volcano in the east (hot, sultry, humid – Hilo is the wettest city in the USA).Temperatures are fairly constant throughout the year, with temperatures between 27°C and 31°C in Kailua-Kona and temperatures between 26°C and 28°C in Hilo and Volcano.March and April are the rainiest months in both regions, while mid-May to the end of July are the driest. Although the rainy and dry seasons fall during the same time for both regions, Hilo and Volcano experience almost twice as much rain as Kailua-Kona during the wet season.The best surfing hits the east and west coasts during the winter, although the waves are smaller here than on the other islands; the best surfing months are between December and February. The high season and whale season (Kohala Coast and Hilo Bay) runs from late December to March, while the low season is during April and May and September to mid-December.
Hawaii Travel Season
- High Season (December – March): December through March is Hawaii’s high season, especially around Christmas and New Year’s Eve.Flights, hotels and cars will be more expensive this time. hotels often require longer minimum stays, higher deposits and have stricter cancellation policies during the holidays. rental cars can be sold well in advance. plan well and book early for travel in high season.
- Low season (April to mid-June, September to mid-December): Spring and fall are the low seasons for travel to Hawaii, April to mid-June (except the last week of April) and September to mid-December (except the week of Thanksgiving).Flights, hotels and cars are less expensive, while beaches and attractions are less crowded.
- Summer (mid-June to August): From mid-June to the end of August, the family travel season is in full swing in Hawaii.Prices tend to be less expensive than during the winter months, but the beaches and attractions will be more crowded. There are fewer deals available during the summer, especially in August, and the rare ones tend to be last-minute.
Hawaii’s climate by month
Hawaii’s temperatures are warm all year round.Rain is most common in the winter months of November through March, and the rare big storm is seen during the hurricane season from June through November. Short, light showers occur regularly everywhere. Kauai and the Hilo side of Big Island are the wettest areas, while West Maui and the Kona side of Big Island are the warmest and driest.
- Hawaii’s weather in January: January is one of the coldest months of the Hawaiian year, with temperatures as low as 20°C. Rain is likely, but not heavy. The northern coasts will see their biggest waves during this month, with big waves in the west, too. It’s a good idea to bring a light jacket or a layered dress for evenings or to visit high elevations.(Average high 26°C, average rainfall 78 mm, average water temperature in Honolulu 24.7°C.)
- Hawaii’s weather in February: average temperatures in February are the same as in January, around 20-26°C, but the rain is a bit heavier. Huge salaries continue to hit the north and west coasts.A light jacket and clothing that dries quickly at this time of year is recommended; whale watching excursions sometimes become quite conspicuous (Average maximum temperatures of 26°C, average rainfall of 90 mm, average Honolulu water temperature 24.4°C.)
- Hawaii’s weather in March: March temperatures are still the same as February, with a little less rain. Northern waves are still quite big, but not the winter monsters. Western waves can be a little bigger than northern ones.(Average maximum temperatures of 26°C, average rainfall of 88 mm, average water temperature in Honolulu 24°C.)
- Hawaii’s weather in April: Temperatures remain constant from March to April, but rain falls significantly. Layers are still a good idea, but rainwear can be left behind. Waves on all coasts in April vary from flat to medium size, and the water starts to warm up. Good time to dive.(Average maximum temperatures of 26°C, average rainfall of 52 mm, average Honolulu water temperature 25°C.)
- Hawaii’s weather in May: May is one of the sunniest and driest months of the year, and temperatures continue to rise.surfing is still small to medium in most places, with warm ocean temperatures.this is considered one of the best months to visit Hawaii because of the exceptional weather conditions.(Average highs of 27º, average rainfall of 38 mm, average water temperature of Honolulu 25.5ºC.)
- Hawaii’s weather in June: magnificent, sunny and dry. June sees waves surfing on the south coast, while the waves on the north coast disappear completely.(Average maximum temperatures of 28°C, average rainfall of 43 mm, average water temperature in Honolulu 26°C.)
- Hawaii’s climate in July: the high temperatures remain stable in July, with a little more rain than in June.the southern waves reach their peak, bringing some big waves.a jacket is still useful at this time of year if you visit Haleakala Crater or take a helicopter tour.(Average maximum temperatures of 28°C, average rainfall of 57 mm, average Honolulu water temperature 26°C.)
- Hawaii’s climate in August: In August, temperatures reach their maximum and rainfall is at its lowest point in the year.(Average temperature 29°C, average rainfall 34mm, average water temperature in Honolulu 26.5°C.)
- Hawaii’s climate in September: September has the hottest water temperatures of the year in Hawaii, while waves are medium to large on all coasts.The air temperatures remain warm and constant. This is one of the rainiest summer months, although it still doesn’t rain as much as in winter. (Average temperature 29°C, average rainfall 61 mm, average water temperature in Honolulu 27°C.)
- Hawaii’s climate in October: October is the last really warm month here, although the rainfall starts to increase.The waves in the south and east start to decrease, and the waves in the north and west start to increase for the winter. A rain jacket or umbrella can be useful if you visit during this time of year.(Average temperature 29ºC, average rainfall 80 mm, average water temperature in Honolulu 26.5ºC.)
- Hawaii’s weather in November: this is the rainiest month in Hawaii, with three times more precipitation than in May or August.Bring an umbrella and plan some rainy day activities in case of a downpour. The water and air temperatures are still very comfortable, and the north and west waves are big again, to the delight of many surfers. (Average temperature 27º, average rainfall 124 mm, average water temperature in Honolulu 26ºC.)
- Hawaii’s climate in December: in December, air temperatures reach their winter lows, which generally remain constant over the next few months.water temperatures remain comfortable, although not as mild.the southern waves flatten out completely, while the western and especially northern waves get bigger.