Few places in the world make world-class service and aesthetic bliss like Punta Mita. Located on a private 1,500-acre peninsula on the Riviera Nayarit, just north of Puerto Vallarta , Punta Mita is the kind of place where heavenly dreams of idyllic tropical getaways come true.The gated, ultra-luxurious location is home to multi-million dollar villas, 15 residential communities with a variety of real estate options, two exclusive Jack Nicklaus golf courses, a ten-court tennis center, and two brands of upscale hotels: St Regis Punta Mita Resort and Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita .
Even during the high seasons, the area is so quiet and intimate that you can hear the soft melodies of the indigenous birds combined with the relaxing echoes of the ocean waves.Its stunning views and private properties have attracted celebrities, trend setters and high profile technology executives alike, including the Kardashian clan, luxury lifestyle guru Gwyneth Paltrow and Microsoft billionaire Bill Gates who, in 2014, invested in 48 acres of oceanfront property with the Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita.Over the years, it has won multiple awards.
Let’s discover the best places to stay in this idyllic corner of the planet.
- Punta de Mita Village
- North End
- South End
- See Also: Best Hotels in Punta de Mita
Stay at Punta de Mita Village
The town of Punta de Mita is located northwest of Puerto Vallarta on a peninsula in Banderas Bay.The town itself is small and passable, with a strip of restaurants, surf shops and a small marina on Anclote beach. This small strip is usually quite active most of the time, but the downtown area is still very sleepy with only a couple of churches, a community center and several local restaurants scattered around.Five-star resorts, luxurious mansions and homes, golf courses and star-studded restaurants are located here.
The history and indigenous traditions of Cora and Huichol are celebrated in this area, and you’ll find plenty of intricate and brilliant art and beading, especially in the Huichol style.Punta de Mita is the closest launching point for boat tours to the protected Marietas Islands.Travelers will find ideal waters for surfing, snorkeling, diving and whale watching in the winter.
The best hotels in Punta de Mita Village
- St. Thomas Regis Punta Mita Resort
- Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita
The best restaurants in Punta de Mita Village
- Tuna Blanca – $$$$ – Refined and elegant dinner on the beach
- Naef Café – $$$$ – The best breakfast and lunch in Punta de Mita! A nice little cafe in the garden, with fantastic food, excellent coffee and homemade ice cream.
- Norma’s Tacos – $ – Cheap and cheerful family restaurant with excellent tacos.Visit on Saturday or Sunday for a knockout pozole!
Stay at the North End
The northern end of the Punta de Mita peninsula has long stretches of soft-sand beaches in the pristine Punta Negra, emerald golf courses and golden beaches in the tourist area of Litibu, and unspoiled beaches, jungle hills and the picturesque centre of Higuera Blanca.The North End is an ideal place to relax off the beaten track.But its central location between the resort of Punta Mita and the town of Sayulita allows easy access to excellent restaurants and boat trips to the southwest and for all-day surfing and northeastern vibes.
Best hotels in North End
- Imanta Resorts Punta de Mita
- Casa de Mita
- Iberostar Playa Mita
Best restaurants in North End
- El Oasis Restaurant – $ – Authentic Mexican flavors in a rustic setting under a palapa with a dirt floor.Known for its carne asada and salsas made in molcajete.
- Kilometer 5 Surf Bar & Restaurant – $$ – $$$ – Casual restaurant with excellent food, strong drinks and sunset views. “Surf Bar” is a misnomer; it’s not near the beach!
- Tropical Crown – $$ – Relaxed restaurant with ocean and jungle views and an evening fire.Local ingredients and a Mexican and international menu.closed in summer.
Stay at the South End
The southern end of the peninsula of Punta de Mita includes the magical town (pueblo mágico) of La Cruz de Huanacaxtle (usually shortened to La Cruz) and the strip of resorts to the west before reaching the town of Punta de Mita.La Cruz is home to several incredible restaurants, a Huichol Art Gallery, a major marina and family-friendly attractions in Playa la Manzanilla. La Cruz’s location is at the beginning of the peninsula, only a ten minute drive from another magical town in Bucerias and only half a mile from the Puerto Vallarta airport and the city’s attractions.The long stretch of beach and jungle west of La Cruz is almost untouched, except for a few newer oceanfront resorts. This area is ideal for families or couples who want a more independent vacation, with plenty of room to explore the authentic Mexican towns, with occasional visits to the city and quiet, starry nights.
Best Hotels in South End, Punta de Mita
- W Punta de Mita
Best Restaurants in South End, Punta de Mita
- Tacos On The Street – $ – Exceptional and affordable restaurant serving killer carne asada and cold beer.
- Black Forest Restaurant – $$ – $$$ – A hidden gem, this is an amazing little German restaurant that serves authentic flavors and a wide selection of German beers.
- La Cava de las Martinez – $$ – $$$ – Casual Mexican restaurant with excellent margaritas and mariachi on Monday nights.
- See Also: Best Hotels in Punta de Mita